December 16, 2007

Hauntingly Beautiful

Every day in my work inbox I receive an email from Daily Candy. The emails vary in their content and length, but generally they contain a summary of goings-on in the Chicagoland area. On Friday morning, I received an email with a link to Carey Primeau's portfolio. The title of the Daily Candy email was Neglected Beauty, and if you view his portfolio you can see that is what he photographs.

He travels to dilapidated structures - landmarks in their day - and photographs them. His work is beautiful even though the places he photographs are not. I found his photos especially interesting because two sections of the portfolio are dedicated to Detroit (near where I grew up) and Chicago (where I live now) structures.

It has always angered me to see buildings that have a history left to their own ruin. I find his work beautiful and sad and compelling and inspiring all at the same time. His work inspired me so much that I felt the need to write him - not something I do often. I wanted him to know that I consider his photos to be both artistic and noble. I described it to him as hauntingly beautiful. And being the compassionate artist he is, he wrote me back:

"Thank you very much for the compliments. I'm glad that so many find these connections to the buildings. Hauntingly Beautiful is a perfect phrase to describe the photos. Here's hope that one day these landmarks will be saved for future generations and that one day they can tell narratives about us and our time here on earth."

I share his hope.

No comments: