November 19, 2006

An Unwanted Lesson

There are some lessons I would rather not learn. I was forwarded a Web site link by my Aunt Janet regarding the signs, causes and treatments of an intracranial hematoma. This information only became relevant to my family as of about a week ago when my grandpa was admitted to the hospital after taking a fall. These are not words I want to associate with my grandpa. However when I last talked to my mom, she said his doctors believe this is something from which he can recover for the most part, so hopefully I will not have to for long.

Seeing my aunts and mother relaying information back and forth about the status of my grandpa’s health is unsettling, to say the least. It is an undeniable fact that as my grandpa approaches 80-years-old, his health is not rebounding like it did 20 or even 5 years ago. And as my mother and aunts, I am certain, are coming to terms with their father’s mortality, I can’t help but think of how someday my sister and I may relay this same type of information about our parents. It is a scary, scary thought. It is a thought I purposefully cannot allow myself to think about for even a nanosecond, because these are lessons I hope to not have to learn for a very long time.

1 comment:

masterfiddle said...

I'm sorry about your Grandfather:(

I have the same fleeting thoughts as you, like how will I cope with the death of my parents? Then I put the thought away and pretend it never existed. It's not time for me to have to deal with that yet!