February 4, 2009

One Foot At A Time

It's past my bedtime. It's going on midnight here in Chicago, but I'm not tired yet. Normally I'd have been in bed for at least an hour by now. Sleep isn't my major concern. I'm not going into work tomorrow, so can I be a little tired.

I am taking off work tomorrow because Mike is going in for surgery. It's not anything too major. He has tumors on his feet, and he will be getting the ones on his left foot removed. In a few months, he'll go back and get the ones on his right foot removed. After each surgery he has to keep all pressure off the foot for three weeks. After tomorrow, that means three weeks on crutches for him. That fact is made worse by the fact that Chicago hasn't seen the ground without snow on it since December. I'll be driving him to and from work for the next couple weeks because commuting via train won't be an option.

My role tomorrow will be much the same as it will in the coming weeks. I'll drive downtown with Mike, get the skinny from his doc and then drive him home after the surgery, where I imagine he'll then spend the majority of the day sleeping.

It isn't major surgery, but it is intense enough that they have to put him under general anesthesia. I am worried but that's just because the word "surgery" itself is scary. I don't think anything will go wrong, but my oh my I can't let myself think there's a possibility that anything could. So for my peace of mind, around 9 a.m., Chicago time tomorrow, please think good thoughts for Mike.

1 comment:

SavvyFitChica said...

I understand your nerves... it's just an unusual thing so of course, you're nervous about it. When Michael had his scope last year, I was nervous although I was sure everything would be fine. It was weird. Take good care of him Amy!