May 25, 2009

Flora and Fauna

The long weekend is almost over. We had some beautiful weather in Chicago, and I made sure to get out an enjoy it. I am glad I did because currently it looks like it's about to rain.

On Saturday, while Mike was hanging out with his dad in the burbs, I made my way down to Lincoln Park. I was going to head all the way downtown to visit the art museum's new wing, but I ended up getting off the El a stops sooner than planned. I decided I'd prefer fewer crowds and to spend less money. Fortunatly, the Lincoln Park Conservatory - free of admission - was located not to far from the El. I entered the gardens and started snapping photos.








While snapping the flora, I spotted this little guy. He was my favorite find in the conservatory.


He wasn't the only animal I photographed. The conservatory is adjacent to the Lincoln Park Zoo, which is another free activity within city limits. I strapped on my telephoto lens and started roaming. It just so happened that I arrived around feeding time so a lot of the animals were out and eating.






It was a long afternoon, but man was it fun to be out and about with my camera in hand. I am more and more amazed by it every time I use it. After this outing, I learned that it's going to be a long, long time before I get bored with it. I actually would have stayed in the park longer, but my shoes were killing my feet, and much like the poor sea lion below, I just wanted to put my feet up and get away from the crowds.

1 comment:

SavvyFitChica said...

it looks like you had the perfect day!!! I love seeing you develop your picture-taking skills little by little. Every post with pics looks better than the last, like you're always fine-tuning your abilities.

Some of those animals are totally weird looking...