July 26, 2009

The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of

I dream in photos now. I woke up Saturday morning to remember the tail end of a dream where I was shooting with one of my favorite photographers. I don't remember much of the dream now, just the fact that I was shooting with someone who's style and clarity I hope to emulate some day.

It must have helped though because I had my second paying photo gig this morning. And if do say so myself, I think it went really well. This photo shoot was the result of the first maternity shoot I did, the one that I can pretty much now say started it all.

We went to the same location, but this park never ceases to amaze me. There are just so many good back drops, and the couple I shot was willing to wander all over it and pose for me. They are an adorable couple and were incredibly good sports, even though at one point I asked them to lay on the ground and then changed my mind.

I have to confess at points during the shoot, I was having trouble getting my camera to meter the light correctly. This was my first shoot under sunny skies and that sun at points was really playing tricks on my camera. I kept looking down to see my shots were completely underexposed (too dark, for the non-photo nerds). So I'd correct my camera settings until they looked right on my screen. It wasn't until I got home that I learned I can't always trust my camera's screen. It will almost always make my photos look darker than they appear, especially on incredibly sunny days like today. Sure some of my shots were underexposed but not to the degree my camera's screen showed.

I am heading back to Michigan on Tuesday for my best friend's wedding, so I began to tell the couple I'd edit all the photos today and get them a CD tomorrow. They thought that was absurd given how nice of a day it was. They said they could wait a week or so for the photos. Um, did I mention how awesome they are? They are awesome. I did promise to send them five pictures just to hold them over. But once I started editing, I had a hard time stopping myself.
These are some of the ones I sent them.
Can I just say this photo was their idea, and it may be my favorite of the bunch.

This was my attempt to make the sun work with me. It wasn't exactly what I wanted but I like the effect nonetheless.
And these photos folks are the stuff my dreams are made of.

1 comment:

Jasmine said...

SO AWESOME!! Great job and I can't wait to see what the future holds for your dreams! :)