May 11, 2010

Preparation

I got an eye opening-reminder today. The bride who's wedding I'm shooting posted this as a Facebook status update: "4 days."

Four days. That's it. Four little days, 96 hours,  until I photograph my first wedding.

To say I'm nervous would be an understatement. To say I'm excited would be an understatement. I keep trying to remind myself that even though this is a big deal, the bottom line is that I love photography. And above any other emotion, I should be incredibly excited to get this opportunity to do what I love.

I did have a nightmare the other night that the wedding went terribly wrong. I didn't get any pictures of the bridal party and the wedding ceremony was over before I took a single shot. Thankfully I woke up before it got any worse.

Now I may never have photographed a wedding before, but I have certainly been in a few. Counting the wedding I played violin in last September (hi Dorrie!) I've been a part of seven bridal parties. So I know how weddings work. And honestly, I know how photography works. Here's hoping that come Saturday I'm able to remember everything I know about both.

This is all to say that if I'm silent for a few days on this blog it's because I'm preparing for the wedding, photographing the wedding or recovering from shooting the wedding. My family is getting together on Sunday at my parent's lake house for a bit of a mother's day/father's day/mom's birthday celebration. I'm looking forward to it because even if my wedding nightmare comes true, time spent with my family always goes well.

2 comments:

Dorrie said...

Though I really really love my wedding photos, I often think "dang, I wish Amy would have photographed my wedding!" I have faith in you, young Jedi! Make sure to get a full length pic of the bride alone (didn't happen at Jill's wedding), and a pic of just the bride and her mom (didn't happen at my wedding - which makes me quite sad...)! Checklists are helpful (I'm sure you have one)! Good luck, and can't wait to see the photos!!!

Anonymous said...

I've been dying to find out how the wedding went! Your lack of posts updating us (me) has been agonizing. Just a quickie post to say how you thought it went would be wonderful.