October 29, 2011

The Why

Today was a long day. I got up on a Saturday at 7 a.m. and didn't get home until 4 p.m. By the time I got home, I was exhausted and starving. I gobbled up my dinner and immediately took a one hour nap, and I am not a napper.

You see, today I had two back-to-back photo shoots. And I'm heading out to the suburbs tomorrow morning to have my third and final shoot of the weekend. I don't usually have this many shoots in such a short span of time, and I'm totally not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I am thankful to be getting out on beautiful days and taking pictures of babies and dogs. There are certainly worse ways to spend a day.

However, it takes some dedication, this whole photo thing. It eats up a lot of what would otherwise be my free time. I plan my weekends around shoots and my evenings are spent editing photos. And it also asks a lot of Mike. My photography weekends mean he's stuck either carting me around or giving up his car. And it also means that he's left to deal with our unruly pack of animals by himself. There are times when I have questioned how worth it is to do this when it's not a job that pays the bills. It's superfluous.

So when my alarm went off at 6:50 a.m. today, I totally had one of those moments where I questioned why.

Tonight I have my answer. My day started by photographing my friends' 3-month-old girl Madelyn. I was culling through her photos tonight and this one stopped me dead in my tracks.
_DSC4731w

You know what, when I look at that photo I don't question why. When I look at that photo I think oh man, I can't wait to do this again tomorrow.

More to come of this sweet little girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That pic is awesome! I love it!