August 2, 2006

Moving sucks.

(* I actually did write this on Aug. 1, but the internet I am stealing wouldn’t let me upload. Another lesson - you can’t always count on a wireless signal to be there if you’re not paying for it.)

Today was a day full of learning and life lessons. It was the big move. I can’t sum it up with one overall, all-encompassing theme, so here are the little things I am taking away from today:

1. Just because you hire movers, don’t expect a smooth move.

2. If movers say they will be at your place by 8 a.m., sometimes that really means 9:50 a.m.

3. Sometimes it takes 17 hours to move. I began at 6 a.m. this morning and did not have everything in my new place until 11:20 p.m.

4. Don’t doubt short movers. They can be small but mighty. I had been saying for weeks how excited I was to have hired big, burly men to boss around. What showed up at my door were two Mexicans, Jose and Pepe, whom were both shorter than me. But they managed to carry all my things down and then up three flights of stairs in 100 degree weather, so I am pretty sure they could take me down before I knew what hit me.

5. You have to turn the key to my front door to the left in order for the locks to unlock. This I discovered after having tried twice to open my door, failed miserably, became convinced I was given the wrong keys, marched back to my apartment management office and demanded someone let me in. I have problems opening doors sometimes.

6. My white sandals had about two year’s life in them. That time was up today at 10:15 a.m., right when as I was walking into my apartment management’s office to demand they give me the right keys. It's hard to make demands when you have to gimp into an office with broken shoes.

7. I have too much stuff. I know this because I bruised my hands while moving. Bruised hands. I didn’t even think that was possible. Oh, but it is.

8. Sometimes when you order an 16 foot truck you get one large enough to haul your things plus a family of eight’s entire life possessions. Jose and Pepe were late this morning because their truck broke down. The replacement they brought was a Penske hauling machine that was so large we had to avoid underpasses lower than 13 feet. It made for a nice tour of my new neighborhood, though.

9. Spending 18 years in my parent’s house, which offered a basement - not central air - as a refuge from the summer heat, prepared me for events later in life. Namely, trying to get a good night’s sleep in an apartment that is still sweltering at midnight.

10. Moving into a non air-conditioned apartment on a 100 degree plus day is not fun. Of course this is common sense more so than a life lesson. But having actually lived through it (just barely), it is a lesson I will take with me to the grave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with #5! I challenge any stranger (even with a key) to break into our house becuase the front door is IMPOSSIBLE to open unless you know it's secret handshake. You must turn to the right, then to the left WHILE pulling towards you, then finally hit it with your hip as you open it. Do not attempt while your hands are even remotely full. Some of our friends tried to stay at our house one time when we weren't there, and our neighbors almost called the cops since they made such a ruckus trying to get in.