August 17, 2006

Your Mom is Cooler than Brad Pitt

My mail is slowly trickling into my new mailbox. Yesterday, my Glamour magazine arrived.

I have been a subscriber for almost three years now, so I know the magazine well. While I do enjoy getting it every month, I can say Glamour is a somewhat silly publication filled with questionable advice and questionable fashions. (They did a spread on how to wear leggings! Um... try "Don't do it!" Damn you, Sienna Miller.)

But one of my favorite parts of Glamour is the random "quickie" bits of information displayed across the bottom of its health, beauty, happiness and love pages. These sage bits of advice are often commonsense restated as tips or statistics I am convinced someone is paid to invent. Most remind me of a statistic I once read saying "34 percent of all statistics are made up." Think about it.

The most recent issue of Glamour is filled with such pearls of wisdom as:

"To avoid crowds, hit the gym before lunch on weekdays or early morning on weekends."

"Another reason to quit: Smoking while pregnant may increase your child's risk of obesity."

"The ex-factor: 50 percent of people recently polled would like to be contacted by an old flame."

And my favorite, and I quote: "It's a fact, 72 percent of adults say they'd rather take their mom to lunch than a celebrity."

If Glamour said it, it must be true. So there you go, random facts for the day. My only question is who would you rather take to lunch?

But in case anyone from Glamour happens to read my blog - if you ever get in a pinch and need someone to pitch in a last minute article, feel free to contact me any time. I love your publication.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So dear - I take it you would rather go to lunch with Brad Pitt
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

So dear - I take it you would rather go to lunch with Brad Pitt
Love Mom