January 1, 2007

The Year of the Sayre

At the stroke of midnight, I rung in 2007 with champagne and well wishes to my friends and family via phone calls, text messages and hugs. But the stroke of midnight had a bittersweet twinge. The end of 2006 meant the end of The Year of the Sayre.

As you can probably surmise, The Year of the Sayre began at the start of 2006 when I was in an unhappy place. I had descended to a very low personal valley, full of self-doubt, uncertainty and discontentment, stemming from my previous year's struggles. Two-thousand five had not been kind to me. I was working a dead-end job, hating every second of it, accumulating debt and not really sure what I wanted to do next but knew I couldn’t continue on the same path. I was miserable. It was after one of my many talks with my good friend, Yvonne, when she encouraged me that things were going to be better - that 2006 was going to be The Year of the Sayre.

Looking back at 2006, I have to say my dear friend was right. This has been an amazing year. I am in a place personally, financially, physically that far surpasses any expectations I held at the end of ’05. I am happy and really there is nothing more that I could ask for.

I contribute my present state to the one prevailing lesson I taken away from this past year. If you’re unhappy, be it resting in your employment, your relationship, your physical appearance, change it. If you do not actively participate in your own life, no one else will. It is your responsibility to take the reigns and make yourself happy. Don’t expect anyone else to do it for you. And you certainly have the power and ability to change any situation you are in - provided you can find the courage to do it.

As I said, I ended 2006 on an upswing, and I’m hoping it continues well into 2007. And I wish the same to each and every one of you. I hope 2007 is a year where you seize your life and do things more amazing than you ever thought possible.

No comments: