September 16, 2007

Trial by Fire

I am a little over a year into my new paralegalling profession. And even though I am a newbie by most of my coworkers standards (as well as mine), I have found myself in both a unique and challening position. I am the lead paralegal on a case set to go to trial in a little over month. It's a case worth millions of dollars and has a team consisting of nine lawyers, one other paralegal and myself. All signs point to the fact that I am grossly out numbered.

Being that I've never gone to trial, I don't know what to expect. But all of my fellow paralegals who have been in my shoes keep echoing the same expectation: You're going to put in a ton of hours. Being that I am writing this entry from work at 7:30 p.m. on a Wednesday night, I don't disagree. I can't disagree, being that I actually starting writing this entry when I was at work at 7 p.m. on Sunday.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that the case is set for trial beginning Nov. 5 in sunny San Francisco. However, at this point I just hope I'm not too exhausted to enjoy my first trip to California.

No comments: