January 1, 2008

Goals

It was New Year's Eve 2005. My friend, Jenny, and I were sitting in a cold car outside a friend's house. I was in a pretty low place and was looking to make some serious changes in the coming year. Jenny felt the same. Being that we've known one another for more than a decade, we made a pact. Not wanting to make resolutions, we each listed five goals we had for ourselves in the coming year. We wrote them down and held each other accountable for our goals. I’m happy to say this is a tradition that has continued for us. So here you are, as I've shared them with Jenny, my goals for 2008 are:

1. Do a physical activity lasting at least 20 minutes, four times a week.
This past year I did not focus on my health. It was a big push of mine two years ago to take up running and get in shape. This year, I want to get back to that. I don‘t want to focus solely on running, so I‘m hoping to try a little more diversity in my workouts. I will have belly dancing once a week, I‘m signing up for classes at a yoga studio and I plan to buy some light weights so I can do some light strength training at home.

2. Make an educated vote for president.
My friend, Kelsa, listed this as a goal on her blog and I couldn’t think of a better idea for the coming year. I will vote, but unlike in year’s past, I plan to research for whom I’m casting my vote for before I do.

3. Volunteer one day out of the month at a charitable organization.
This past year was a very good one for me. I was given a lot of opportunities and I seized them. So in the spirit of giving, I want to give back. I don’t know what organization I am going to give my time to, but I’m going to find one, and when I do, give it at least one day a month of my time.

4. Take violin lessons.
I used to play the violin. I played it for eight years. When I played I always said I don’t want to be one of those people who said I used to play the violin. Well, I used to play the violin. No more. I’m taking lessons this year.

5. Learn about my family's history.
A good friend recently pointed out to me that I’ve made an effort to travel the world and learn about and absorbs aspects of many different cultures, but I haven’t made that same effort relating to my own culture. I am incredibly proud of feeling diverse. I would like to feel as proud, if not more, to learn about and absorb my own family’s history.

Happy New Year to all. I’ve already come up with a slogan for the year: 2008 - It’s gonna be great! Here’s hoping it is for me and you and everyone we know and love.

1 comment:

SavvyFitChica said...

I made your blog! I made your blog! Woo-Hoo!

Okay, seriously, you have some fabulous goals Amy and I'm sure you're going to achieve each one. I've also tweaked mine a bit and will be adding them to my blog tonight probably.

I like that you want to volunteer. That's a really wonderful goal to have and I also like the one about being more knowledgable about your own culture and family history. That's really neat. You're amazing.
Kelsa