January 10, 2009

Torture Device

My Shamrock Shuffle training has officially begun. This week I managed to drag myself out of bed at 5:45 a.m. four out of five days to work out. In accordance with my training schedule, I did a Pilate's class on Monday, ran on Tuesday, ran and strength trained on Thursday and did this class called Hot Bod on Friday. If I run Sunday (which I will!) I will have completed my first week's training without missing a beat.

But let's back up to this Hot Bod class. I had taken it a few times before. It is a mix of cardio and strength training os it fits perfectly into my training schedule. And the few times I'd taken it, I really enjoyed it.

I had never taken this class on a Friday morning and at about 7 a.m., the mid-point of that class, I never wanted to again. We used the Bosu. It is a harmless looking device, but after an hour of using it in every way imaginable I hated it. And the instructor. We ran onto it, jumped on it, balanced on it while doing crunches, stood on it while doing free weight exercises, did various types of push ups on it and, my favorite, the modified down up. We would pick it up only to put it down, splay our legs behind us into a plank position and then pop to our feet, pick the Bosu up over our head and repeat. It was hard. I hated it. All 60 minutes of it.
I left the class trying to think of what else I could do on Friday mornings because at that point anything seemed better than attending Hot bod again. My calves were so overworked from standing on that freaking thing that I've been shuffling around my home like a cripple all morning.

But a strange thing happened. As the day went on I kept marinating on how hard I thought the class was but proportionally became increasingly proud that I did it. Even stranger still was my growing desire to do this class again and do it better. The strangest thing though, I think I will.

1 comment:

SavvyFitChica said...

HELL YEAH AMY! 4 days at 5:45 AM?!?!?? You are AWESOME!!! Way to go girlfriend. I'm pumped for you.

By the way, Michael SWEARS by the Bosu and thinks it's one of the most functional and essential pieces of equipment for training. When I tell him you used it, he'll be proud of you too!

I wish we had that class at my gym b/c I would take it.
Good luck on your run on Sunday (because I know you will too)...if anything, tell yourself, "in one week, Kelsa will be doing this for 5 1/2 long hours... I can get out here for a little run..." lol!