November 8, 2009

Quick On Her Feet

DSC_0206

Don't let this gorgeous little blue-eyed girl fool you. She does not sit still and pose this perfectly. She's quick. Fast on her feet. And shooting her was a bit of a challenge. I came home from this shoot and was more than content to sit on the couch for a bit. She wore me out, but in such a good way.

She was constantly in motion. And her being on the go meant I too had to be quick on my feet. In addition, my mind was racing as she raced in and out of tall, shady trees. I had to think quick on my feet because my light meter was jumping all over the place. I shoot exclusively in manual mode right now, so every time she moved my camera metered differently. I don't think I kept the same settings for more than a minute.

DSC_0081

This shoot took me back to the first little boy I photographed. He was a quick one too. His shoot was on a cloudier day, so thankfully the light was much more consistent. I remember getting home from that shoot and thinking the next time I photographed a kid there were a few things I would tweak to give me clearer, crisper images. So that's what I did. And because I did, I was able to get this fast-moving little girl to look like she was sitting still for a moment or two.

DSC_0103

I am not complaining though. We had wonderfully unseasonable weather this weekend. This shoot was a fantastic excuse to run around in the sun for a few hours. I honestly can't think of a better way to have spent my morning. Mike and I have had our windows open most of the weekend, and both days I walked around without a coat. I suggested this shoot for this weekend because I don't know how many more days I'll be able to shoot outdoors. It will most likely snow next weekend.

2 comments:

Alexis said...

oh my gosh, what a cutie and what great shots! I know all too well how hard it is to photograph a bundle of energy and you did an amazing job it seems. can't wait to see the rest!

SavvyFitChica said...

AMAZING! I yelled, "Michael, come look at these pictures!" They look sooo good. It doesn't help that you had such a beautiful little girl as your target!