September 29, 2008

Gone Fishin'

Love makes people do things they never thought they would do. For me, it was going fishing at 6 a.m. in small town Wisconsin.

We visited Mike's sister and her family this weekend. Mike's brother-in-law got a boat for the weekend, so we bought some weekend fishing licenses and headed north. The boys went fishing Saturday evening, but I opted out, forsaking fishing for antiquing with Mike's sister and niece. However the following morning when Mike woke me at 6 a.m. to ask if I wanted to go for the morning fishing run, I was surprised to hear myself say yes.


It was a cold morning - about 50 degrees. Yet I spent it on a small boat hugging the shoreline of a small Wisconsin lake, casting and recasting but not catching much of anything. None of us were. It wasn't a great day for fishing, with only a few small bass caught between myself, Mike and his brother-in-law. Despite our poor showing, I enjoyed myself. I think mainly because I know how much Mike enjoys fishing. If Mike were to win the lottery tomorrow, fishing would become his full-time, profit-free vocation. I do enjoy fishing, but to be honest my lottery plan would probably include a lot of shoes and maybe a few nice fish dinners.


As we headed back to the dock the cold wind whipped around us. I pulled my hood over my head and tried to bury deep into Mike's fleece shirt. I was chilly and hungry - usually a really bad combo for me before 9:30 a.m. Our fishing trip was pretty much a bust, but it didn't sour me to fishing. There is a lot to be said for finding pleasure in doing because it brings the person you love so much joy. And it doesn't hurt that even on a slow day, I was able to catch a little something.

No comments: